Send your ideas to our Twitter:

Tweet your ideas to:

Thursday, March 1, 2012

16,664 miles

Normally I don't like to leave my valuables in my car. I've heard too many stories about my friends forgetting to take stuff out of their car only to come back to find them missing. It's happened with their laptops, their purses, and what have you. I've always been swift to point out their stupidity.

My red umbrella that I've had for eight years, though, I never considered all that valuable. It's in workable condition and I've come to rely on it so it's not totally useless. Still, it had never been an object I'd consider a prize possession.

When I left it in my car three years back it was left on top of my passenger seat. I had thought it was going to rain, but it never did, and I was just too lazy to put it back into the trunk of my car. I had parked on the street, sure, but it wasn't a bad part of town. I saw many more expensive cars parked along the same block. I thought my car was safe since it was only going to be an hour in the middle of the afternoon. Not only that but there were several pedestrians walking on the sidewalk near my car. If anything I thought I would have more trouble with going over the 1 hour time limit.

You can imagine my surprise when I came back to my car and found my passenger window broken. I thought the worst. I checked if my stereo was still there. I made sure everything was still in my glove compartment. I even checked underneath the seat to see if I was missing anything there. Nope, the only object they stole was my old ass umbrella.

To this day I still don't understand the urgency with which they needed an umbrella or what value they saw in it. Maybe they saw it lying on the seat and decided it was ripe for the picking. Perhaps if I'd left a rubber ducky there they might have taken that. Or a small cat. Who knows?

What's even stranger is they left a business card for a local podiatrist. I don't know if they wanted some type of barter, weather security for health security, but I didn't consider it a fair trade. How often am I going to use a podiatrist as opposed to the number of times I'm going to need an umbrella? I swear.

I really miss that umbrella.

Nosm O.

No comments:

Post a Comment